Current Affairs
I used to hate this when I was studying General papers in my JC days. It simply sux. I cannot understand just why teachers are advocating people to read the news everyday. All the cheem ang moh to a boy whose english is below C level was just too heavy to carry.
The faces I recognised then were people around me. My teachers, my friends, my family... even the caretaker, the security guard... blah.... but I cannot even recognise one face from the singapore parliament except for president Ong Teng Cheong & PM Lee Kuan Yew. My ma like to test me, even today... u know who is this? She raised her head slightly at the person on TV screen. My standard answer is no. She would then say, "Aiyo, you are weak, study so much, dunno who this is!!! He is blah blah blah..." I would always say,.. yeah yeah..... so important meh? I think Elmo and Big Bird of sesame street sounds more familar to me. Heh, but it never end there. She would carry on, "So what is his post?" WAH KAOZ! I already dunno who in the BLUE HELL that guy is, how would I know what does he do???????" So, standard reply comes again, "Dunno lar..". The cycle repeats..... "Aiyo, you are weak, study so much, dunno what he does!!! He is blah blah blah...minister lar!"
To tell ya the truth, till today, I cant really remember all of them... even if I do know who that MP is, I may not know what's his post. However I do enjoy myself at the last election which happens this year... haha.... Did know a lot of them through the current year election.
Anyway, after working, somehow I started to read Straits Times more and more. Dunno Y, but it became more and more interesting to me on top of the Computer Times I used to just buy the Straits Times for. Well, of cuz I would still like to read xin ming RI bao with all the weird gossip ard, super stars kena caught having affair, naked while bathing,... blah blah, Headlines like Mah Bow Tan went somewhere for chicken rice(Rumoured) kinda news, but I never buy them, or rather, never have to. My dad does the job for me. WAHAHA....
Back to the Straits Times, I read every part of Straits Times, but never the Money section, since it doesnt apply to me. SO what if Creative gonna go into lawsuit with Apple? Doesnt Affect Me.
Today I read the Business Times, I havent touch Straits Times for a long long time. After I got myself financially inclined, Straits Times or even Computer Times doesnt attract me any longer. I find stories of companies and the world more interesting. It is a bigger picture. From there, I know how it affects everything including a small country like us.
Maybe, teachers then shouldnt be forcing the articles down our throat... maybe they should give us a reason to read them instead of give reasons like reading papers will improve our english. Kaoz, I spent so much time cutting and pasting so many newspaper articles then, I actually got no time to really study the ang moh in it.
Anyway, my english is still at C level when I grad from Sec and JC. Ha,... and all the MPs? Sorry, I still dont know most of ya.
The faces I recognised then were people around me. My teachers, my friends, my family... even the caretaker, the security guard... blah.... but I cannot even recognise one face from the singapore parliament except for president Ong Teng Cheong & PM Lee Kuan Yew. My ma like to test me, even today... u know who is this? She raised her head slightly at the person on TV screen. My standard answer is no. She would then say, "Aiyo, you are weak, study so much, dunno who this is!!! He is blah blah blah..." I would always say,.. yeah yeah..... so important meh? I think Elmo and Big Bird of sesame street sounds more familar to me. Heh, but it never end there. She would carry on, "So what is his post?" WAH KAOZ! I already dunno who in the BLUE HELL that guy is, how would I know what does he do???????" So, standard reply comes again, "Dunno lar..". The cycle repeats..... "Aiyo, you are weak, study so much, dunno what he does!!! He is blah blah blah...minister lar!"
To tell ya the truth, till today, I cant really remember all of them... even if I do know who that MP is, I may not know what's his post. However I do enjoy myself at the last election which happens this year... haha.... Did know a lot of them through the current year election.
Anyway, after working, somehow I started to read Straits Times more and more. Dunno Y, but it became more and more interesting to me on top of the Computer Times I used to just buy the Straits Times for. Well, of cuz I would still like to read xin ming RI bao with all the weird gossip ard, super stars kena caught having affair, naked while bathing,... blah blah, Headlines like Mah Bow Tan went somewhere for chicken rice(Rumoured) kinda news, but I never buy them, or rather, never have to. My dad does the job for me. WAHAHA....
Back to the Straits Times, I read every part of Straits Times, but never the Money section, since it doesnt apply to me. SO what if Creative gonna go into lawsuit with Apple? Doesnt Affect Me.
Today I read the Business Times, I havent touch Straits Times for a long long time. After I got myself financially inclined, Straits Times or even Computer Times doesnt attract me any longer. I find stories of companies and the world more interesting. It is a bigger picture. From there, I know how it affects everything including a small country like us.
Maybe, teachers then shouldnt be forcing the articles down our throat... maybe they should give us a reason to read them instead of give reasons like reading papers will improve our english. Kaoz, I spent so much time cutting and pasting so many newspaper articles then, I actually got no time to really study the ang moh in it.
Anyway, my english is still at C level when I grad from Sec and JC. Ha,... and all the MPs? Sorry, I still dont know most of ya.

4 Comments:
wahhaa, paiseh,.. i only care abt the sexy ladies reported in the papers,.. i go change now...
waahahahha.. never mind about the MPs la. they change their posts every 3-5 years anyways. knowing their names wouldnt impress ladies too, so i wont fret if im you! =P
and you are so WRONG about not reading world news. politics and economics are like your left and right eyes. without either one, you will lose the depth perception of whole picture. saavy??
Yes Miss Lim... i savvy savvy....
YES!!! PRINCESS GILA CANNOT RULE THE WORLD,... else ur cabinet of MPs will be filled with many elmo n cookie monsters!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home